If you are a music fan on a budget 2022 is definitely going to be your year for summer music. Roaring back from the past two years of Covid shutdowns - communities well within driving range of Anderson Valley are pulling out all the stops for their free summer music concerts. Almost every day of the week will offer a chance to relax and listen to music surrounded by others similarly inclined. A brief overview: Friday- Cloverdale’s “Friday Night Live”, Friday and Saturday - The Anderson Valley Brewing Company’s - “Live local bands”, Sunday - Ukiah’s “Sunday in the Park”, Monday - AV Brewery “Bring Your Own Record” spin sessions, Tuesday - Healdsburg’s “Tuesdays in the Plaza”, Wed. - time out to do your laundry, Thursday - Windsor’s “Summer Concert Series”. All of these are FREE. An embarrassment of riches.
Most of these are not only music events many also include street fairs with food, beverages, crafts, farm produce, toys, flowers and fun. Even if you are not the hugest music lover the people watching alone is always worth the trip. Cloverdale in particular provides a great array of people watching opportunities. The atmosphere is very relaxed. There are many families with kids ranging from teen to tiny. Plenty of retirees fill out the silver haired quota, Last week on hand was a Chinese grandma looking like she just stepped off the streets of San Francisco Chinatown grooving to the music right in front of the bandstand in her gray double knit trousers, oversized sweater vest in vivid colors and canvas Tai-Chi Mary Jane shoes. A pretty young ponytailed mom with identical ponytailed twin girls about 3 years old were grabbing hands and dancing with other available toddlers much to everyone’s delight. Young fathers tried hard to keep up with rambunctious escapee toddlers. All kinds of interesting tattoos on display under skimpy summer clothing. Lots and lots of kids age 5-10ish just run around and around in circles on the grass shrieking with joy and daring each other to “catch me if you can”. For sheer youthful exuberance this scene just can’t be beat.
Over in front of the bandstand the hardcore dancers partner up or just sway and wriggle solo. One couple even brought their own personal small dance floor. There are always some really slick partner dancers who have their moves down and could clear a wedding dance floor for sure. Bands range from the dignified to super party hardy crowd pleasers. You never know when you go if the band will catch fire with the crowd but when crowd and the band get on the same page “That’s Entertainment” and it really cooks. It is surprising how often this happens and what a happy time is had by all when things just click. A time to be part of a happy herd.
Of course you can get Beer and Wine or all kinds of non-alcoholic drinks including “Arnold Palmer” lemonade. You can get Kettle corn or carmel corn or mixed kettle and carmel corn. You can get corn on or off the cob with shredded Mexican cheese, lime and chili powder. Fresh Oysters raw and BBQ’d. Fancy baked goods, the “Wurst” sausage sandwiches, fresh fruit, even fermented Kombucha. You can get your face painted or you can shop ‘til you drop mostly for jewelry and clothes.
Sound good? Well get your day pack out and fill it with a bottle of water, some mosquito repellant, chapstick, a windbreaker, hat, wet wipes, your phone, your wallet, a pen and some paper. Now you are ready to go. Grab a couple of folding chairs and maybe a picnic blanket if desired. See below for where exactly you can find many of the things described above and a specific line-up of acts to come.
Friday Night Live – Cloverdale 6-9:30.
- 6/3 Monophonics- Psychedelic Soul
- 6/10 Moonalice-Jam Band
- 6/17 Tommy Castro and the Painkillers- Blues Rock
- 6/24 Orgone- California Soul
- 7/8 John Papa Gros- New Orleans Piano
- 7/15 Ron Artis II and the Truth- Soul
- 7/22 New Orleans Suspects- Swamp Rock
- 7/29 Mike and the Moonpies- Country
- 8/5 Los Texmaniacs- Tex Mex
- 8/12 Scott Pemberton O Theory- Progressive Roots
- 8/19 Diggin’ Dirt- West Coast Funk
- 8/26 David Luning- Americana
- 9/2 Grupo Fantasma- Latin Funk.
- More info: www.cloverdaleartsalliance.org
Anderson Valley Brewing Company – Summer Music Boonville 4:30-6:30 Fri./Sat.
- 6/3 Hella Mendocino- Hip Hop to Reggae
- 6/11 Three Point Hitch- Americana
- 6/18 Surfsquatch- Heavy Rock
- 6/21 TBD
- 7/22 Buckridge Racket Club- Classic Rock
- 7/29 Funkacillin
- 8/19 The Dirty Dukes- L.A. Rock
- More info: avbc.com
Sundays in the Park - Ukiah 6 PM Todd Grove Park
- 6/19 Ozomatli with Funkacillin latin hip hop
- 6/26 Arise Roots with Top Shelf and DJ Seshwann CA Reggae Rock
- 7/10 Double Standyrd and The Funky Dozen
- 7/17 La Misa Negra Afro Latin Cumbria
- 7/31 Western Standard Time Ska Orchestra Jamaican Jazz Ska
- 8/14 Con Brio with Weird Year Soulful Party Funk
- More info: cityofukiah.com
Monday Bring Your Own Record Night - AV Brewing Company 4-5:45 Boonville
- More info.: AVBC.com
Tuesdays in the Plaza - Healdsburg 6-8
- 5/31 Illeagles- Eagles Tribute Band
- 6/7 Kingsborough- rock
- 6/14 Jesus Diaz y su Qbq- Afro-Cuban Ensemble
- 6/21 The Carolyn Sill Combo- Spaghetti Western Swing
- 6/28 The Anthony Paule Soul Orchestra with Teme Odabi- Blues/Soul
- 7/5 The Coffis Brothers- Folk Rock
- 7/12 Marshall House Project- Electric Soul/Funk
- 7/19 Los Pinguos- Latin Rhythm/World
- 7/26 Sol Horizon- Reggae
- 8/2 Luce- Rock/Alternative
- 8/9 Big Sandy and His Fly-Rite Boys- Rockabilly/Western Swing
- 8/16 Sal’s Greenhouse- Funk/Soul
- 8/23 Boot Juice- Bluegrass/Folk
- 8/30 The Rubinoos- Power Pop/Pop Rock
- More info.: www.ci.healdsburg.ca.us
Summer Nights on the Green - Windsor 6-8 PM
- 6/2 Foreverland- Tribute to Michael Jackson
- 6/9 Pacific Mambo Orchestra- Latin
- 6/16 Skynyrd n’ Frynds- Southern Rock Tribute
- 6/23 The Refugees- Tom Petty Tribute
- 6/30 Pop Fiction- Pop Dance
- 7/14 David Luning Band- Americana Rock and Roll
- 7/21 The Bell Brothers- Modern Country
- 7/28 Maya- Latin Roots Tribute
- 8/4 Hip Service- R&B Party Band
- 8/11 Kenny Metcalf- Elton John Tribute
- 8/18 The Dylan Black Project- Funk R & B
- 8/25 Sabor De Mi Cuba- Afro-Cuban Roots
- 9/1 TBD- Blues
- More info.: townofwindsor.com
The Redwood Empire Fair in Ukiah
- 6/3 Fake News
- 6-10, Scott Forbes Band
- 6/4 6-10, Banda Pacifica
Other musical opportunities include live Jazz at the Ledford House in Albion Wednesday through Sunday. Mendocino Music Festival July 9-23rd in Mendocino. North Coast Brewing Sequoia Room- live music in Fort Bragg, Hopland Tap Room live music in Hopland, The Ukiah Brewing Company live music in Ukiah. Local virtuoso guitar player Pilar (Francesca) Duran plays with the fabulous “Mama Grows Funk” band all over the north coast and inland this summer starting with the AV Grange “Beach Ball” June 18 check them out on Facebook.
Most of these music events are outdoors so are relatively Covid safe. Mask-up if you want to and come on out for a really good time - at long last. The hills, and beaches and orchards and vineyards are alive with the sound of music and as Chuck Mangione would say it “Feels so good”.