On Wednesday, August 3rd, at about 1:22 PM, the Mendocino County Sheriff’s Office was contacted by Sally Arellano who said their two missing children had been left at Ukiah’s Motel 6 on North State in the care of Edward “Two Feathers” Steele, 32, of Ukiah.
At about 4pm, a two-year-old boy, unattended, was discovered near the railroad tracks in the Brush Street area. He appeared to be suffering from heat related symptoms and was transported to Adventist Health Ukiah Valley Hospital. During a search of the area for the second child, that child was found dead. Steele, who’d had been left responsible for the two children, was arrested the next day, August 4th, at the Hopland rancheria.
As this awful story developed, it became known that 2:05 AM the morning of August 3rd, deputies had been summoned to the 1700 block of North State Street where Sally Arellano and Edward “Two Feathers” Steele were fighting. Ms. Arellano was arrested for misdemeanor battery. Ms. Arellano said her children were at a motel a half a mile away being cared for by a babysitter.
Ms. Arellano was released on bail three hours after her arrest, but Edward Steele had assumed care of the children from the babysitter after Arellano’s arrest. Some time that day, between 5am when Steele assumed custody of his children, and 4pm when they were found on the railroad tracks, Steele had left the children unattended. The younger boy was dead, the older boy alive but suffering from heat stroke.
(1) Covelo connections. These dirtbag men killing women and babies. Women! Quit hanging out with scumbag dudes. Dudes! Work on yourselves and have something to offer. What a waste of everything in this tragic situation. What does anybody expect given the atmosphere Steele was raised in as well. And these poor little boys. Damn. Getting dragged around by somebody who was supposed to be taking care of them to have this happen. Mamas of kids laying down with men that have fleas. Even if you’re just “hanging out” with scumbags you’re still being a horrible example. Our ancestors are reeling while the alive turn a blind eye.
(2) Just look at this guy – you know he wakes up every day trying to be the toughest, baddest guy on the planet. What a pathetic life when all you value is looking as tough as u can. Man, what a waste of life. Then there are people who would give anything to wake up healthy everyday but God decided to give this dirt bag enough health to be a dirtbag every day. Hey family of this dirt bag – look real close. This is a perfect example of what you are not supposed to spend your life trying to be. He gets to look as mean as possible and that’s about as valuable to society as the pile of shit my dog leaves in the yard every morning.
(3) “The policies” Policy schmalicy, total BS excuse.
1. Leo/FCS/CPS did not check on kids.
2. In spite of multiple arrests for violence and drugs without recovery/ long term support, kids not placed elsewhere.
3. Family and Citizens scared to help/act.
4. Hotel life is NO life.
5. Weak communication between agencies.
You see this a lot in cases of this type. There will be intervention from other family members and possibly tribal support to get the kids back. People might use it for a while even. But, after a little bit they’re back to their old ways. Anybody in the family is afraid to say anything. Especially if you’re up in the hills. Idiots, they’re packing guns around running loose. Her earlier arrest where she attacked possibly her parents or grandparents with guns and violence. Running around with a bunch of young men a good 10 years younger than her all high on meth. It’s super concerning to see this. The community is split; they will talk to your face all shiny and glossy looking cute but behind the fence everything still continues. Racial slurs at each other. Drugging, slugging, whip it huffing, drinking and beating and stealing and thieving. As long as nobody else knows, keep it behind the fence, ehhhhh it ain’t a big deal. The babies watch. People try to speak up, wind up dead. You want better for the grandbabies you’re an OG shut the f******. It’s heartbreaking to see the youth doing NOTHING. THINKING ITS FUNNY. Anybody driven out to Covelo lately? The Whip It canisters line almost every pull out. Consider that when you’re driving on that road. Standards gotta change all the way around. It’s something called Integrity, doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. Being a good human with a kind soul and productive life is okay. Damn.
RIP lil man.
(4) Re: the recent infant death incident involving Edward ‘Two-Feathers’ Steele and his girlfriend)
As a former CPS social worker in Mendocino County, I can tell you an urgent call to CPS does NOT go unanswered. Instead, the call rolls to the next in charge, which is usually a social worker supervisor, who should have responded immediately…if Assistant Director Kelsey Rivera is so confident and knowledgeable, why the hell didn’t she respond immediately to save this poor child? ANY other CPS social worker, CPS supervisor, CPS manager, or even the Social Services Director herself had a duty to respond immediately, and they are ALL trained in basic child safety, and they are also ALL liable for this preventable death.
The Mendocino County Social Services basic structure has become dangerously flawed, because they are overly top heavy with supervisors, managers, and incompatible dipshits without the required education, which leaves line staff understaffed and paralyzed with fictional top-heavy policy. It is very much still a “good-ole-boy” network of selfish power grabbers drunk with nepotism and disdain for other underpaid County residents.
UPD or MCSO should have scooped up the kids from Motel 6, upon arrest of the mother, and taken them directly to CPS or the police station where safety can then be ensured. How many recent or currently open investigations/referrals did CPS have on this mother? Did the mother have an open WIC 300 dependency court case? Why not? Was there an existing CPS crafted safety plan? Why not? Anyone bother to contact dad or other family? Why not? Did anyone put eyes on these kids in the moment? Why the fuck not?
Also, many CPS social workers, their supervisors, and Law Enforcement have direct phone & email access to each other, because they coordinate so often (should be anyway). Law Enforcement majorly screwed up when they minimized initial CPS involvement, and instead decided their MCSO or UPD balls were biggest, and therefore didn’t need to coordinate with anyone.
The UPD officer who minimized initial CPS involvement is as liable for this child’s death as 2fux, and perhaps should also be arrested for murder?"
* * *
On Monday, Steele refused to enter a room at the County Jail to appear oncamera for his arraignment hearing. The hearing was rescheduled for Wednesday. Steele, 32, has been charged with one count of second-degree murder and two counts of child endangerment.