Questions For Prospective Supervisors, 3rd & 5th Districts
by AVA News Service, February 21, 2018
1. Do you think the County’s mental health money is being effectively spent? (around $28 million at last estimate)
2. If you had monarchical authority, what would you do to create genuinely low cost housing?
3. What is your opinion of the recent moratorium on vacation home rentals?
4. Your opinion of the locally proposed changes to Class K.
5. What do you think of the current marijuana regulation program?
6. Do you agree with CEO Angelo’s decision to separate Mendocino County from Coastal Valley EMS?
7. What is your opinion of the leadership provided by CEO Angelo’s “Leadership Team”?
8. How many Board meetings have you attended in the last year? Watched any on YouTube?
9. Do you agree with the Board’s recent decision to raise their pay to $84,000 plus benefits? Should the three retiring supervisors have voted on the raise?
10. Do you think the County needs to spend some $50,000 to hire an outside consultant for a needs assessment before proceeding with Measure B’s mental health facilities program?
11. What specific benefits do the children of Mendocino County derive from the First 5 program? Would you support spending most of the annual $1 million on childcare vouchers instead of on Ukiah staffers?
12. Who would you appoint to the Planning Commission?
13. What is the single biggest environmental problem faced by the County?
14. Do you support the current level of water diversion from the Eel River to mostly irrigate vineyards in Potter Valley?
15. Do you think the County’s recently organized Ground Water Sustainability Committee is dominated by wine-grape interests?
16. What is the first project or program you would look into if elected?
17. Do you have any proposals for dealing with the colossal deficit in the pension obligations fund?
18. Would you support the creation of an integrated, county wide disaster alert system?
19. Would you be willing to be on a radio call-in show every six months and respond to callers’ comments and questions?
* * *
(Ed Note: Readers are welcome to suggest additional questions which we will submit to the current crop of Supervisorial candidates in the next few weeks.)